[vsnet-alert 7741] PU CMa superhump period

PU CMa superhump period

Dear Colleagues,

   We have received new data from Peter Nelson.   The data also clearly
recorded superhumps.  Combined with Monard's data, we have yielded
a superhump period of 0.05832(5) d.  This period is 2.9% longer than
the orbital period.  Because of the short visibilty in the evening sky,
the period identification still needs to be confirmed by additional nights'
observation.  If this is the true superhump period, the fractional
superhump excess of 2.9% is somewhat large for this period.

   The mean profile is posted at:

   http://vsnet.kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp/pub/vsnet/DNe/PU_CMa/push.gif

   The full amplitude is smaller than long-period SU UMa-type dwar novae.
This may be a result of systematic decrease of the superhump amplitudes
in shorter period systems, or the observations may have covered the
epoch when the superhumps had started to decay.  In any case, further
observations (hopefully 2hr continuous run each night) are strongly
encouraged!

VSNET Collaboration team

Return to Home Page

Return to the Daisaku Nogami