[vsnet-alert 7703] Re: Possible Nova in Sgr and V4006 Sgr

Re: Possible Nova in Sgr and V4006 Sgr

>   And, extrapolating the periodicity, the expected maximum would occur
> around 1958.65, near to the epoch when it cought brighter in POSS I
> image (vsnet-alert 7701).  It is also valid for the most recent
> maximum, suggested by Jim Bedient (vsnet-alert 7700).

   The periodicity of a Mira star is not usually this stable to allow
decades-long extrapolation.  They may be a mere coincidence.

>   The nominal position of GSC 6850.4355 is about 17" away from the
> suspected object, and around this nominal position there are some
> crowded stars.  I guess it should be avoided to call this object as
> GSC6850.4355 in further reporting.  Please specify the appropriate
> name, Taichi ?

   Please look at the original chart of V4006 Sgr, and see how the position
agrees with the object currently in question.  It is up to the GCVS team
to call the present object V4006 Sgr or assign a new name, although
I presume there is only a single Mira-star of this brightness within a
few arcmin of this position.