===

Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 09:58:31 +0900 (JST)
From: Taichi Kato <tkato@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp>

SN2003aw = helium dwarf nova?

   According to IAUC No. 8084, "SN2003aw" looks like to be a hydrogen-deficient
dwarf nova resembling KL Dra = SN1998di.  The duration of the current bright
state suggests a superoutburst, if this type classification is correct.
Further observations are naturally encouraged!

(From vsnet-campaign-sn 565)

Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 11:18:35 +0900 (JST)
From: Taichi Kato <tkato@kusastro.kyoto-u.ac.jp>

Dear Colleagues,

   Woudt and Warner report in IAUC No. 8085 that they detected a periodic
signal of 2034s (amplitude 0.1 mag).  From this peridicity and the
spectroscopic description, they suggested that the object is a double-
degenerate helium-transferring binary (AM CVn star).  The period is
supposed to reflect superhumps.  Woudt and Warner also reported the
existence of shallow eclipses.  If this feature is confirmed, the object
is the first AM CVn star with eclipses (please note that there have been
arguements whether AM CVn stars are binaries or single stars; the
unambiguous identification of eclipses will present the final conclusion).
There is, however, slight diference of the outburst behavior of this
object from the other "dwarf nova-type" AM CVn stars, particularly in
its long duration of outburst.  This difference also needs to be
clarified by further observations.  We therefore request further
follow-up observations, although the object is a bit faint (V = 18.3).

VSNET Collaboration team

Return to Home Page

Return to the Powerful Daisaku