[vsnet-alert 7383] Re: Suspect object near NGC 6946

Re: Suspect object near NGC 6946

>Otherwise, the object may belong to NGC 6946 (the color is consistent
>with a supernova, but is located too distant from the galaxy?).

The about 7' offset is not too large for NGC 6946.  It has many HI
regions with this dintance from the nucleus (Boulanger, Viallefond
1992).  As everyone may know, it has produced six SNe in the last
century.  The color of this new object is not so blue, so if it is SN,
it should not be very young.

However, Petr Sobotka wrote:
>there is no object down approx. 17 mag in CCD I filter in the
>coordinates, now at Jun 13, 0:47 UT.

It is unlike for SN nature.

Sincerely Yours,
Hitoshi Yamaoka, Kyushu Univ., Japan