[vsnet-alert 7323] OGLE-III EWS system

Dear Colleagues,

After almost 1.5 year break, the OGLE microlensing survey resumes the
Early Warning System service. During that period we have upgraded our
project to OGLE-III and with the new OGLE Mosaic 8k x 8k pixel CCD
Camera increased the data flow by almost an order of magnitude. We also
decided to use a completely new data pipeline. It is now based on the
Difference Image Analysis photometry software (image subtraction)
instead of the classical profile photometry approach. As a consequence
the old EWS system was replaced by a completely new version.

It seems that the new EWS system works very efficiently. We have already
detected almost hundred of microlensing event candidates in the
direction of the Galactic bulge. Please note that this is just a
beginning of the 2002 bulge season. Not all Galactic bulge fields
observed by OGLE are included in EWS. We will gradually increase
the coverage.

We start our OGLE-III EWS service with the same mailing list, we had in
November 2000. First 94 detected events are available over the Internet
from the OGLE archive (see below). The new events will be announced also
via e-mail, as it was done before. If you do not wish to receive our
e-mails, please send us a message, or unsubscribe yourself from the WWW
interface.

The main OGLE WWW pages are available at the addresses:

http://vsnet.astrouw.edu.pl/~ogle/
http://bulge.princeton.edu/~ogle/

The OGLE-III EWS page address is:

http://vsnet.astrouw.edu.pl/~ogle/ogle3/ews/ews.html

so please update your old links. The old EWS page address:

http://vsnet.astrouw.edu.pl/~ogle/ogle2/ews/ews.html

contains the link to OGLE-III EWS so you will not be lost.

The finding charts, light curves and photometric data are also available
from: http://ftp.astrouw.edu.pl/ogle/ogle3/ews/2002/

The new EWS WWW interface is practically identical with the old one.
Please note only one important difference - the orientation of finding
charts (now: E is to the top and N to the right) resulting from
different orientation of the new OGLE-III mosaic camera.

When using the data provided by EWS or referring to the OGLE EWS system,
please cite the Udalski et al., 1994, Acta Astron., 44, 227 paper (or
newer papers when they are published) and provide the WWW address of the
EWS system or the OGLE WWW home page.

We hope that we will be able to provide many interesting microlensing
events during this and next seasons.

Best regards

Andrzej Udalski and Michal Szymanski
for the OGLE-III team.