[vsnet-alert 2865] negative report on SN candidate in NGC 3294

  Members of the RIT Physics Department observed the field of
NGC 3294 from the RIT Observatory on UT 02:30 13 Apr 1999.
We used a 16-inch reflector with Meade Pictor CCD camera, no filter.
The field of view is 3x4 arcmin.  Two exposures of 70 seconds each
show the galaxy, nucleus, and spiral arms, but at low signal-to-noise
ratio.  There is a compact source about 77 arcsec SE of the galaxy's nucleus,
significantly fainter than the nucleus itself, along the major
axis of the galaxy.  We believe that this source appears in
reference images of the galaxy, as a knot in one of the outer spiral arms.
Perhaps Dr. Knauth suspected this knot of being a SN?

  We find no evidence for a bright new point source in the galaxy.

                                        Michael Richmond