[vsnet-alert 2404] WX Cet: start of rapid fading?

WX Cet: start of rapid fading?

   We have just started this evening's CCD observations of the super-
outbursting WX Cet.  From the quick-look image, WX Cet seems to have been
entering its rapid declining stage from the superoutburst.  WX Cet showed
a rather peculiar fading pattern during this stage in I-band, as extracted
from my article in IBVS 4256:

> Another peculiar feature of WX Cet can be found during its terminal
> decline from a superoutburst.  In contrast to most SU UMa-type dwarf
> novae, the rate of decline slowed down far before reaching quiescence.
> [Averaged decline rates of 0.80 mag day$^{-1}$ and 0.41 mag day$^{-1}$
> were obtained for the intervals of July 20 -- 22 and 22 -- 23,
> respectively. Note that WX Cet was at Ic=15.5 on July 23, which was
> $\sim$ 2.0 -- 2.5 mag brighter than quiescence.]  Similar phenomenon
> was also observed in CT Hya (Nogami et al. 1995).  Phenomenologically
> this feature seems to be related to a poorly understood long-fading tail
> observed in the terminal stages of superoutbursts of WZ Sge
> (Patterson et al. 1981), although its explanation should await further
> observational and theoretical works.

   Observations are strongly urged during this important stage of the
important superoutburst.