[vsnet-alert 2277] Re: V635 Cas outburst (update)

Re: [vsnet-alert 2274] Re: V635 Cas outburst (update)

> One further observation made by Tonny Vanmunster which I didn't report,
> confirms that V635 Cas was above quiescent levels on that night.
>
> Oct 11.881 UT    14.6  Unfiltered CCD

   One should be careful in comparing unfiltered CCD observations with
visual ones, since this Be-X ray binary can be significantly reddened
(thus can have a red color).  A comparison with quiescenct CCD image
will be useful.

> This is the first time I have observed a 'transient' event as bright as
> this in this system after over 8 years of monitoring.  Is it unique?

   Be stars tend to have longer time-scales of outbursts, but can be as
short as several tens of days.  We have learned from MACHO observations of
the LMC revealed what is called "bumpers", which are Be stars and show
microlensing-event-like light curves.  If the present outburst is associated
with an X-ray outburst, the interpretation may be different.