[vsnet-alert 2179] Confirmation needed: suspected SN in NGC 6239

Dr. Yamaoka:

Looking at Vickers "CCD Atlas" (pg.174), there are three stars associated
with the image of NGC 6239. Two of them are north and west, and faint. The
other is east of the core (along our line of sight), and equally as faint.
Utilizing a magnitude comparison of the bright star directly north of the
galaxy (GSC 3079:41) which is estimated at magnitude 14.2....I would
venture to say that your observer has a pretty good chance that his
sighting is a bonifide SN suspect....barring any unforeseens!

Best,

Steve