Re: possible bright nova in Oph (fwd from nova network)

From: yeti@asu.edu (Peter Hauschildt)
Subject: Re: possible bright nova in Oph

Hi Nova-searchers,

 the confirmation of the possible Nova in Oph is very urgent!
Kato's announcement indicates that it may be still in its
fireball stage and this firework lasts only for a few days or
less. So far we have early UV and optical spectra of the fireball
stage only for Cyg92. Therefore, fast spectroscopy of Oph94, if it
indeed turns out to be a bright nova, would be extremely important.
For an analysis, I would like a multi-wavelength coverage
from the UV to the IR, a large a wavelength range as possible
(otherwise the determination of effective temperatures, density
profiles etc is not very accurate) with a 'low' wavelength
resolution (4A in the optical is fine). So, please try to
confirm the nova as soon as possible so that TOO spectroscopy
can be initialized.

Good luck, I keep my fingers crossed for a bright Nova,

                                      Peter

--
Peter H. Hauschildt                Phone: (602) 965-2552
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy       Fax:   (602) 965-7954

The possible nova is located at R.A. = 17h 35.7m , Decl. = -19d 12'
(J2000.0).                                      BHG